Friday, August 12, 2011

Homework... (cue the scary music!)

There are still some mumblings and grumblings going on about HW in our class.:)

I'm realizing more each day that the students in my class aren't as familiar with cursive as I originally thought. Since we need to fix this issue before I can realistically ask students to write a lot of assignments in cursive, I think it would be best to build up to a larger cursive expectation.

I'd like to ask the kids that are relatively comfortable with cursive handwriting to continue to do their 3 spelling assignments in cursive. However, if your child is struggling, please know that I am fine with them turning only one of the three assignments in written in cursive. Understand that we still want to push them to grow in their penmanship- both in print and in cursive- so full credit can' t be given fairly for sloppy print work. Starting at the next quarter, I'd like to have 2 of the 3 assignments completed in cursive. At the 3rd quarter (January) I feel that it'd be realistic to request all 3 in cursive. In the meantime, I'm giving them handwriting packets in class and some will have one to take home as well, depending on their need for practice. :)

Next week, check your student's backpack for an example of a correctly completed agenda depicting a "typical" week in our class homework-wise. As a general rule of thumb, a fourth grade student should be spending between 40-60 minutes a night working on HW- including the 20 minutes of reading. I am giving a lot of time in class to complete Wordly Wise and writing prompt assignments and there is generally 20 minutes or so given each day for students to begin their math homework as well. I will also be sending home an example of each spelling HW assignment for the students to use as a guide- and for parents to know what it is I'm asking for because there's been some confusion on a few of the assignments.

I realize that HW is a grouch button for a lot of students. I am trying to help them understand that HW is for practice and not for torture purposes! :) I give them plenty of time in class to work on assignments and am trying to be realistic about expectations at home as well.

Hopefully, this available handwriting modification, extra practice in class with handwriting, the example agenda and example HW will help to clear up any confusion and make the HW process more smooth.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns!

No comments:

Post a Comment